Sunday 6 December 2009

Artist of the Week - Peter Williams


Our Artist of the week is Peter Williams. Peter is a self taught UK artist, working out of his studio on the Suffolk coast where he lives with his long term partner Jenny and large German Shepherd dog.

Of his work, Peter says:
"I use many different media including pastel, coloured or graphite pencil and gouache but I am particularly well known for watercolour work. Blending diffused colour with confident composition and intricate detail, I am able to achieve a unique vibrancy unequalled by many other watercolourists.

Having always had immense interest in the great outdoors, animals, wildlife and particularly horses, I have most recently become best known for my haunting, ephemeral Native American portraits.
I don’t try to be historically accurate, but attempt to portray palpable and arresting emotions, suspending reality to present the viewer with the wild, unchecked passions and stoic serenity of Native America.

Born in 1952 I had a varied working life which included the regular British Army, college tutor, computer analyst and lorry driver. Throughout all of these times I always found time to create art of some kind in my spare time. In 2002 I took the life changing step of becoming a full time artist. I was the feature artist for Hertfordshire Life magazine before moving to the East coast of Suffolk in 2005. I expected to make my living here from local landscapes and coastal scenes. However I soon realized I would be better off finding a more niche area of the art market and decided to exploit my passion for the old West and Native America. I haven’t looked back since. I have had quite a lot of success selling prints and originals in the USA but have also been pleasantly surprised to find many collectors here in the UK. Of course I still create all other genre when the mood takes me, particularly wildlife and horses, and work to commission whenever requested. "



No comments:

Post a Comment