Sunday 20 December 2009

Artist of the Week - Angela Arnold


Our Artist of the week is Angela Arnold. Angela spent most of her youth on the Continent: born in Germany, she has also lived in France, Spain, Holland, Belgium...finally settling in Scotland in 1976. Angela says:
"I have been painting in South Aberdeenshire since 2001, inspired by the local land- and seascape: the view of big skies and changeable seas from the cliffs of coastal Kinneff, where I live, or the deep red earth of the Mearns."
The painting shown is an atmospheric depiction of winter at its most picturesque, with snow sculpted into powerful drifts and my little cottage just visible."
A very apt depiction of the snowy weather at the moment


Angela started out as a writer, with two books published (on psychological astrology, which she also practises), as well as occasional poetry. For thirteen years she ran a smallholding in Aberdeenshire, and then worked for several years as a hands-on garden designer. She came to painting a bit later in life, and is self-taught - "....as much by design as default: I just love experimenting and discovering my own techniques. Painting to me is a challenge, a journey, and each work seems to proceed along its own path, often taking me by surprise.
In my paintings I try to capture both stillness and motion (often linked with the emotion evoked) – and maybe these are not so much opposites as two sides of the same coin, seeking the core of the subject. I also produce vibrant abstracts and most recently I have been experimenting with stark black and white, rather minimalist, painting.

A lot of my work is done in acrylic on board, rather than on canvas, calling for a different kind of technique. I have developed a method of mounting board on an integral frame and the finished product looks like a box canvas, with painted sides, ready to hang - or to frame, if you wish."

No comments:

Post a Comment