Tuesday 15 June 2010

Artist of the Week - Angela Arnold


Angela Arnold is this weeks Artist of the week. Angela is a full time professional Artist working from her studio at home in rural Scotland. I particularly like this view of St. Andrews in Scotland.
Angela says:
"I started out as a writer, with two books published (on psychological astrology, which I also practise), as well as occasional poetry. For thirteen years I ran a smallholding in Aberdeenshire, and then worked for several years as a hands-on garden designer. So I came to painting a bit later in life, and I'm self-taught - as much by design as default: I just love experimenting and discovering my own techniques. Painting to me is a challenge, a journey, and each work seems to proceed along its own path, often taking me by surprise.
I have been painting in South Aberdeenshire since 2001, inspired by the local land- and seascape: the view of big skies and changeable seas from the cliffs of coastal Kinneff, where I live, or the deep red earth of the Mearns.
In my paintings I try to capture both stillness and motion (often linked with the emotion evoked) – and maybe these are not so much opposites as two sides of the same coin, seeking the core of the subject. I also produce vibrant abstracts and most recently I have been experimenting with stark bl/wh, rather minimalist, painting.
A lot of my work is done in acrylic on board, rather than on canvas, calling for a different kind of technique. I have developed a method of mounting board on an integral frame and the finished product looks like a box canvas, with painted sides, ready to hang - or to frame, if you wish."

No comments:

Post a Comment